top of page

Applying for a UK Student Visa

Since 5 October 2020, 'Tier 4 (General)' leave has become 'Student' permission and 'Tier 4 (Child)' leave has become 'Child student' permission. 'Student' includes Tier 4 (General) and 'Child student' includes Tier 4 (Child).

Most types of immigration permission allow you to study in the UK. The categories aimed specifically at students are the Student route and short-term student.

The Child Student route might be appropriate for you if you are aged 18 or under and want to study at an independent school.

If your course lasts for longer than six months (or less than six months, but you want to work), you'll need a Student visa. This has replaced the Tier 4 student visa.

These are some of the documents you'll need for your student visa application:

  • Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – This is a 14-digit reference number you'll receive from your uni once you accept your offer.

  • Proof of finances – You'll need to prove that you have enough money to pay for your first year of tuition fees. On top of this, you need to prove you have £1,023 (£1,334 for those studying in London) per month for up to nine months to cover your living expenses. This can either be through self-funding, an official sponsorship or an education loan.

  • English language skills – You'll have to prove you meet the minimum level of English language proficiency, usually by taking a Secure English Language Test (SELT).

The Student visa costs £363 if you're applying from outside the UK, or £490 if you're in the UK and want to extend or switch to this visa.

You may have to pay a healthcare surcharge as part of your visa application. This costs £235 for six months or £470 for the whole year and allows you to use the NHS.

If you're applying for a student visa from outside the UK, you can apply up to six months before you start your course. You have three months if you're applying from inside the UK (and you must apply before your current visa expires).

You could get a response within a few weeks, but it's best to apply as soon as possible. Current waiting time for a Chinese student desiring to study in the UK is 3 weeks.

Seeking immigration advice

If you wish for to obtain more information or some help with obtaining a British Student visa or Schengen Visa, do not hesitate to contact Future Education Agency. Our staff have years of experience in successful visa applications for students.

Contact Details


Wechat ID: GordonGuoZ

8 views0 comments


bottom of page